The first commandment says that there is only one God. Yet, in this one God, there are three persons. In the Gospel Jesus said, “Baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”. How can there be three persons in one God?
Here are some analogies:
- The electric fan has a propeller, wind, and electricity, yet it is just one electric fan
- The cellphone has a camera, text messaging, and internet, yet it just one cellphone
- Modern artwork can have multiple colors such as blue, green, and red, yet we just look at it as one piece/theme of artwork
Hence, three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Yet, He is one God.
What is the relevance of the Trinity in our daily lives?
- God is always with us. In the Old testament, it was God the Father; in the New Testament, it was God the Son; when Jesus left the earth, he sent the Holy Spirit. Hence we can always be comforted even in these times, as God is always with us.
- God is love. It is only logical to have three persons in one God because God is love. Love has to be shared. Hence this love is shared among three persons. Jesus said, “As the Father loves me, so I love you.”
- God is Unity. God founded only one Church, one head and different parts. Then why is there so much disunity in the world? It is because we have taken away God and hence nothing to unite us. We continue to remember that words of Christ, “That all be one.”
We continue to pray to God that in these difficult times. May we never forget that he is always with us and despite all the uncertainties, may we feel his love. Further, all our lives are intertwined; hence may we be united despite the many forces that divide us.