Why is a seat so important? Because a seat means a lot.
- A seat can define whether you are rich or ordinary, like how those seated in the business class of a plane are treated differently than economy
- A seat can define power, like how those seated nearest to the boss means you have more influence compared to those who are seated farther away
- A seat can mean status, like in a wedding if you are seated at the presidential table, you are somebody important
- A seat can mean rank, like if you are seated at the cabeza of the table, which means you are the head
In the Gospel, Jesus often reminds us that what is important in the eyes of the world, what is greatest in the eyes of the world, is not in the eyes of God. What is important and greatest in the eyes of God, are those who are humble.
Three traits of a person who is humble:
- Gratitude. A humble person is grateful because he knows that all that he or she has is only lent. We came into this world with nothing and we are leaving the world with nothing.
- Servitude. A humble person knows how to share whatever god-given blessing he or she has. Whether acknowledged or not, is not necessary. Serving gives so much joy.
- Thoughtfulness. A humble person always puts others first. This is not due to low self esteem, but rather, a humble person is so secure that happiness comes from putting other people first.
May we always remember the saying,
“It is not how important you become in this life, but how you have made a difference in the lives of others.”