Jesus would always see things from the heart:
- He lambasted the Pharisees and Scribes because they were holy on the outside with their titles, places of honors, and vestments. However, God saw what was in their hearts.
- Despite the town willing to punish her, Jesus did not judge or punish a woman caught in adultery. He knew her story and He knew what was in the heart.
- He taught the people that true security is not based on money, which the people believed during His time and even up to now. It is based on Trusting God.
In Luke’s Gospel, Jesus talks about giving. While all giving may be noble from the eyes of people, Jesus knows what is in the heart and what is the motivation.
Indeed, there are people who give because it makes them popular and they win the applause of people; there are people who give because there is something in return; there are people who give just so that they are not be bothered anymore or they feel obligated. Jesus would like to emphasize that true giving is based on not expecting anything in return. Giving should be because one truly wants to help.
Based from the bible, Hans Lerke ministries cited four types of giving:
- The book of Proverbs talks about giving the “First Fruits.” This is gratitude and recognition that God is the source of all blessings.
- The Parable of the Seeds reminds us that “We Reap What We Sow.” When we scatter goodness, at God’s given time and God’s given ways, it bears fruits, 30- fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold.
- The book of Malachi talks about Tithing. That is giving 10 percent back to the Lord of what is earned. With the little that we trust the Lord, he blesses us abundantly in return.
- Aside from Prayer and Fasting, Jesus encourages giving to the poor and the ones in need. As the Psalms says, he who gives to the poor lends to the Lord.
Hence in each Mass, we pray that we may be instruments of God’s generosity:
- Despite the hard times and we have bills to pay
- Despite the many times, we have encountered people who were not grateful for the help extended
- Despite the times, we were in need and no one extended the help we wanted
- Despite our fear of what the future may bring and why we need to save
- Despite our tendency to be selfish and self-centered
Indeed they may be a 100 reasons not to give despite only one reason to give – Life is about Giving. When we were born, our mothers gave, they “gave birth.” When we die, whatever we left behind, we give back to the earth. Hence, between being born and dying may we always be “life-giving.”