During the time of Jesus, he was an excellent preacher for three reasons:
- First, he spoke with authority and credibility
- Second, he used stories that fascinated people
- Third, he used imagery. “Faith is like a mustard seed; Jesus is the vine, we are the branches”. “The road to damnation is wide”. He also said, “He is the shepherd and we are the sheep”.
People during the time of Jesus knew that sheep were not very intelligent animals, hence would always need the guidance of the shepherd, especially for direction.
Three realizations about callings in life:
- We are called into this life. Each baby born has a mission and purpose. That is why each life brings joy and hope.
- We are called back by God when we go astray. No one lives a perfect life. We get lost sometimes in the journey called life, but God calls us back.
- We are called into eternal life. We are only passing by in this world. Jesus said, “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places”. We remember, in fact, the saying, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son so that all who believe in him may have eternal life.
That is why we continue to be still so we can hear the voice of the shepherd. “My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me.”