A few years ago, I officiated a wedding in Singapore for some friends. This was the homily at that celebration.
Barrington James, a uniquely successful recruitment company that has recently been recognized as a BEST COMPANY to work for, came out with an article entitled: “15 Reasons why Singapore is a great place to work.” Please allow me to mention five:
- The salaries are lucrative.
- It is one of the most globalized countries in the world.
- The food.
- Excellent public transportation.
- Low crime rate and zero corruption.
For Ryan and Clar, we could list another one reason why Singapore is a great place to work. It is because in Singapore that Ryan and Clar found love.
Ryan’s first impression of Clar was that she was very cute, down to earth and funny. Clar’s first impression of Ryan was that he was “Nerdy,” a workaholic and pretty quiet. Eventually, when the relationship became serious, Ryan knew that Clar was the one because Clar could make the very boring days the most fun days. (Mababaw talaga ang kasiyahan ng mga nerdies). Further, Ryan just loved every moment being with Clar.
On the other hand, Clar knew that Ryan was the one because Ryan could bear her quirks like: She curls her toes when she reads, her love of food makes her take forever to decide what to order, but then is never contented, and the list goes on and on. In other words, it is with Ryan that Clar feels most secure.
Ryan and Clar, three bilins on your wedding:
- Put God in the center of marriage and eventually in the center of the family. One sad reality of the world today is that we do not know what is wrong and what is right.
The right is made wrong and the wrong is made right. Who would ever think that fake news would be a reality in the world. Hence, we all need God. Especially, when it comes to your children. Teach them the fear of the Lord so that they become wise in their decisions, strong in adversity, and a blessing in relationships.
- Never Forget your Parents. This generation is all over the world, but no matter where your work brings you, you still have your parents to come home to. Especially when they grow old and less strong, never forget them. God blesses immensely Children who never forget their parents especially in their old age.
- Two become One: Clar is said to be intelligent, has a great sense humor and loves comedy, food and comics, while Ryan is said to be practical, a planner, values relationships, is funny and smart. They both shared values like frugality and their differences are in taste of food, music, movies and games. Yet two become one.
May you also find your vocation as a couple.