It is said that in the Archdiocese of Manila which is composed of Manila, Pasay, Mandaluyong, San Juan, and Makati City, there about 200 priests. 80 priests are 60 years old or above. Only 40 priests are 30 years old and below. The average age of the priest is 54 years old.
Surely we need more laborers because there is so much to be done, although in the Gospel we realize to be a laborer for God is not easy.
In the Gospel, there are three reasons why:
- You are to give. Humanly speaking we as people want to accumulate. We human beings think of our ourselves before others. Hence it is not easy to be giving.
- Do not take gold or silver or copper. We have all placed our security in material wealth. How are we to eat? What are we to drink?
- Be a person of peace. Humans have the most natural tendency to exact revenge, but a laborer is challenged to be a person of peace.
We must realize that God doesn’t want us to make life more difficult. There are three reasons that give us a purpose:
- It is when giving, that we receive. Humanly speaking, it is hard to give. Ask people who know how to share though, and they will always say that it always comes back, 30-fold, 60-fold and a 100-fold.
- Do not hold on to your material security because God will always provide. If you trust him, he will never fail.
- Jesus said that blessed are peacemakers, for they shall be children of God.
I have worked for 15 years and have been a priest for 14 years. While priesthood is not easy, it is very fulfilling. I tell the younger generation it is the world’s best kept secret. Let us pray that more and more of the younger generation say yes to the call of God.