One of the greatest wonders of the world is nature – beautiful, complex and yes it can also be dangerous. In fact, nature is interrelated.
Some interesting facts:
- If the sky is red during sunset, chances are it is going to be bright and sunny the next day. If the sky is red during sunrise, chances are it is going to be rainy during the day.
- When birds start migrating, chances are the change of season is coming. In the Philippines, it is the presence of gamo gamo that reminds us that rainy season is just around the corner.
- If the winds are blowing from the east, chances are a storm is coming. If the winds are blowing from the west, chances are the weather will be fine.
In the Gospel today, Jesus reminds us to read the signs of the times:
- The Persecution of the Church. It is not only happening in the Middle East but it is happening all over the world: a priest was killed while celebrating Mass in Paris; in the US it is offensive to greet people “Merry Christmas”; in the Philippines, notice when the Church speaks, news comes out about the scandals of the Church.
- Taking away God from everyday life. How prayer has been taken away from the family; rosary while going on a long trip; prayer before meals; rosary and angelus at 6pm.
- Imbalanced Morality. What is right and what is wrong? On the Internet there was a discussion if Extra Judicial Killing is the solution for drug addicts and pushers who are seen as a menace to society, what do you do to the corrupt government officials who are involved in the drug trade? Aren’t they even more menace to society?
The challenge and invitation to all of these “Signs of the Times”?
- Always being reminded that all these things come to pass. So that our hearts will not be in this world but in the life to come.
- Having Fear of the Lord. It is only him who can judge us.
- Virtuous life. Nothing can be brought to the next world except the kindness we have shown other people.