Who would ever think that we would see the day that:
- fake news would become an industry
- the right is made wrong and the wrong is made right
- we have no more sense of sin.
Even calling out an inappropriate relationship brands one as judgmental and intolerant.
Despite all of these, right is still right, even if no one is for it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. Further, we remember the saying, “All it needs for evil to remain is for good people to keep quiet.”
This is certainly what we were reminded of in the Gospel when John the Baptist spoke the truth. It was inconvenient to the point that he was not only jailed. He was eventually beheaded. Again, because of speaking the truth.
That is why in each Mass we pray for three things:
- In the vocation that God has given us, may we do what is right. May we be a blessing. May we bear fruit: 30 fold, 60 fold, or 100 fold.
- It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. In our circle of influences, we can always do what is right. It may not be huge but even if it is small, it goes a long long way. After all, everything starts small.
- The Prayer of Serenity. May we be able to pick our battles.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference.