Once in a seminary theology class, our professor asked the class, “Who is the Mother of Perpetual Help?” Instantly, the class responded, “Mama Mary.” Then our professor asked, “Who is the Perpetual Help?” For a while there was silence. Then someone reluctantly answered, “Jesus?” Our professor immediately affirmed the correct response.
It is very important to get our relationships right:
- Jesus is the Son of God
- Jesus is also God
- Mother Mary is the Mother of God, but she is not God
- She is, however, Most Blessed among women, as per Angel Gabriel.
- The prayer of a blessed person is very powerful
In the Gospel of St. John, we hear of the maternal concern of Mama Mary. There was no more wine at a wedding and that would be a great embarrassment. Hence, she convinced Jesus to change water into wine.
We in our faith are very blessed because we acknowledge Mama Mary, who Jesus loved so much. Hence 3 things Mama Mary does for us in our faith.
- She prays for us. Mothers are the prayer warriors of the families. They know and feel what their family is going through even without her speaking. It is most natural for her to pray for them. So is our Mother in heaven, it is most important that she prays for us.
- She prays with us. The Bible says that the prayer of a righteous person is very powerful! The angel Gabriel said, “Blessed are you among women.”
- She intercedes for us. “Hindi matitiis ng isang ina ang anak niyang naghihirap.” Hence, Mama Mary perpetually intercedes for us.
Jesus said when two or three are gathered in His name, he is in their midst….
How fortunate we are because Mama Mary is praying for us, praying with us, and interceding for us.
How beautiful are the words of Mama Mary to Juan Diego: Is there anything afflicting you, disturbing you? Am I not your Mother?