St. Faustina once said: “To know God is to know his attributes.”
Since time immemorial people have wanted to know God.
- Many think that he is an angry God. That is why we go to Mass and follow the commandments because otherwise, misfortune will be experienced.
- Many think that he is like a genie: “Lord give me this, Lord give me that”.
- Many think that he is too busy, so we pray and pray and pray so that he may hear our prayer.
- Many think that he is an absentee landlord, therefore he does not care.
- Many think that he is not all-powerful, therefore we have all these pamahiins (superstitious practices) and we say, “hindi makakasama (it will not hurt)”.
One of the mysteries of our faith: One God, three Persons – God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Three things we should know about the Trinity:
- Love is God. God is love. Hence there may be indeed one God but if God is alone how can God share love. Hence if there are Three persons in one God, the love can be shared among the Three persons.
- Unity. Having three persons in one God reminds us of the importance of Unity. Where there is God, there is unity. Where there is unity, there is God.
- Presence. In the old testament, it was God the Father. Then Jesus walked the earth. When he went up to heaven, he sent the Holy Spirit. Hence throughout the history of humanity, we are never alone.
Whenever the Solemnity of the Trinity is celebrated, we need to remind the world that we have to go back to God. If there is so much anxiety and fear it is only because of three things:
- We do not love our neighbor, otherwise, how can we make the right wrong and the wrong we make right.
- We are divided by color, religion, economic class. Even worse, politics has divided people all over the world.
- We have taken our God. God has placed us on earth for a reason and we do not know God. We find a replacement for money, power, and material things.
The new trinity talks about I, me and myself. Let us go back to the basics: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.