There is this story of a woman who was offered a business proposal – a huge, huge, return on the investment. The group were gold hunters and they informed the woman that the gold is just a few meters away at the mining site. She eventually gave a huge amount of money.
After two weeks, the group came back. They said they were so close yet not there. Additional funds were needed to do this and to do that. Another huge amount of money was given.
Again, after two weeks, a small nugget of gold was shown. We are almost striking it rich. Just a few meters away and a little more funds were needed. Yet another huge amount of money was given.
Three years later, the woman is much poorer and there is still no gold to speak of.
My dear friends, all of us are in pursuit of treasure in this life so that we can live happily ever after. The Gospel of Matthew reminds us to pursue the real treasure: The Kingdom of God.
Three reasons why the Kingdom of God is the real deal, the real treasure, the pearl of great price:
- Earthly treasure value is ever-changing. One day it is up and the next day because of certain events, it goes down. Why put our security in something that is not constant? On the other hand, we have God who does not change. As St. Teresa of Avila said, “Do not fear, do not doubt all is passing and only God is constant.”
- Earthly treasure has limits. It has no life, it is made of metal and can do nothing when one is sick, carrying his or her cross or going through a storm in life. On the other hand, we have God with whom nothing is impossible.
- Earthly treasure remains on earth. We came into this world with nothing and we are leaving the world with nothing. On the other hand, we have God who will be with us until the end of time.
How do we find the true treasure?
- Read the Bible; read the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other church documents. Listen also to the testimonies of other people.
- Engage in the Sacraments. They have a lot of graces that cannot be seen, but it is there and very powerful.
- Trust God.